Lord Hardy Court and Davies Court provide specialist residential care for elderly people with dementia.
The two 60-bed care homes could lose up to 70 workers as part of council plans to save £900,000
Rotherham Borough Council said it “strenuously denied that any reduction in staff would cost lives”.
Shona McFarlane, director of health and well-being for Rotherham Borough Council, said: “The quality of care to the residents will not be affected by the changes, which are being put in place following the staffing review held earlier this year.
“This review was undertaken to ensure that the services, which were identified to be high cost, could be delivered in a different way, at a lower cost, with no impact on resident safety or quality of care.”
The GMB would ask how can you possibly provide the same level of care with a cut of 50% to front line staff.
The consultant that produced the report to the costing for the homes back in early 2012 was involved in Southern Cross, which went into administration and no longer in existence.
Details of the proposed cuts are:
- Front Line Care Staff to be cut by 50%
- Admin is to be cut by a third the reception desk will not be manned all day
- The management is to be cut, so there will be less support for staff
- Domestics/cleaners are now going to have to do duties in the kitchen as well as cleaning on fewer hours with less staff
- Activities team will be no more under the restructure, so the bingo singing dancing etc will not go ahead any more
- The food budget has been cut, no hot meal at lunch only at tea time
- The homes are not going to be a home for life anymore, if a resident becomes end of life care they will be moved on to a nursing home
- Staff have told us they are scared of not getting a job but are also scared of getting a job due to the cuts to staffing levels
On Thursday 12th Seotember 2013 we sent the following letter to Elected Members.
Posted: 4th September 2013