Advice from the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) on the priority groups for a Covid-19 vaccine does not include school/childcare workers. Rotherham GMB belives that RMBC should lead the way and put that staff first who cannot distance or use PPE, to be kept safe at work by being put on the vaccine priority list.
Inclusion of school and childcare staff on the priority list should also:
* provide more protection for children and their families
* reduce the chance of settings being closed for 2 weeks and working parents having to take time off work
* ensure continuity of education for children
* allow schools to return to normality faster, having a positive impact on children’s mental health
* reduce the chance of NHS workers having to stay at home with children who are isolating due to closures